Deanna Raybourn / Reading Group Guide: The Dark Enquiry
The Dark Enquiry
Readers’ Guide Questions
- This novel sees the return of Nicholas and Julia to London after their exotic and extended honeymoon. How does the setting influence the story?
- What are the most significant challenges facing Nicholas and Julia as they settle into married life?
- How does Plum’s presence in the enquiry agency change the dynamic of the working relationships?
- With her lack of interest in domestic details, Julia is not a typical Victorian housewife. How does she resist this role?
- Several new characters are introduced in this book—most signifcantly, Sir Morgan Fielding. Describe his relationship to the established characters and what role he might play in the future.
- Nicholas reveals more of his past to Julia in this novel. What does he reveal and how might it affect their relationship?
- How do the Roma characters fit your perception of Gypsies? How do they differ? How does Granny Bones fit into the development of Nicholas’ character?
- What are the difficult lessons learned by Lord Bellmont in this story?
- How does Julia’s extensive and eccentric family fit into her life? How do they intrude?
- What motivates Lady Felicity Mortlake?